Community participation- Community Education Committees (CECs)
Currently the Foundation has twelve schools running across the province and under the Public-Private partnership with the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa the BKTEF would take over more non-functional and/or underutilized school buildings across the province and FATA. This expansion is to be sustained through formal community bodies. These bodies are called Community Education Committees (CECs). Community Education Committees (CECs) are a dominant feature of the educational program of the Foundation. These Committees are represented by influential and active individuals of the respective community where schools have been set up. The objective of setting up of the CECs is to actively involve local people in a way that they assume the responsibility to oversee school management for its effective functioning and accept the ownership thereof. Presently CECs are formed and working with positive outcomes in all BKTEF school locations.
Formation of CECs
CECs are formed through a step by step approach:
After identification of target location, a focal person within the target community is identified with the vision and establishment plan for a school.
The focal person identifies active individuals both male and female among the local community and they form a group. This group is given the name of Community Education Committee (CEC).
The selected members of CECs are given training in community mobilization and core areas of effective school management. The conduct and supervision of school affairs is regulated by CECs once the school is been set up.
Roles and Responsibilities of CECs
CEC are responsible to:
- Watch over school management and efficient functioning.
- Safeguard the school property and resources.
- Mobilizing community for maximum participation in general and formally through becoming a part of Parent Teachers Associations (PTAs).
- Keeping a check on dropout tendency among students.
- Ascertaining the financial standing of the students applying for remission of fee charges.
- Support in school building construction and completing legal documentation and other requirements.
- Ensure parents participation in Parent Teachers Meetings (PTMs) and other events demanding communityís involvement.
- Generate resources for the school.